Menu

Category: Peace And Order

0 Comments

Heads will roll after the Davao City bombing last Friday that killed 14 people and injured 67 more.

Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio allegedly wants the commander of Task Force Davao Col. Henry Robinson Jr. replaced. Robinson assumed the post only last May 2016.

It was learned that the mayor is also contemplating on replacing the newly-installed Davao City Police Office director Sr. Supt. Michael John Dubria. Dubria just assumed the post last June 2016.

No replacements have been identified so far for the two posts.

Mayor Duterte is said to be very disappointed with Friday night’s bombing which happened under the very nose of the police and Task Force Davao. TF Davao personnel as well as police are always seen in the Roxas Boulevard night market securing the area.

Thousands frequent the area every night for its ukay-ukays, food stalls, and massage services especially during the weekends.

Mayor Duterte is also set to offer a P1 million reward money for anyone who could give information about the suspect/s and another P1 million that could arrest the perpetrator/s who placed the IED in the massage area of Roxas Boulevard that evening.

The police said that they already have about three to four persons-of-interest. Two of them are said to be females. There are also about eight witnesses who gave information to the authorities that led to the identification of the POIs.

Witnesses earlier claimed that a tall bearded man left a bag in the massage area and hurriedly left. Few seconds after, the explosion happened.

PNP chief Ronald dela Rosa said they are currently cross-matching the POIs to a gallery of known terrorists.

Dela Rosa said they are also waiting for the post-blast report of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit. Initial findings showed that the IED is crafted from a mortar round based on the fragments taken from the blast area.

According to dela Rosa, the explosive is closely similar to the signature IED of Abdul Manap Mentang, the suspect in the Valentine’s Day bombing of the Davao City Ecoland Terminal in 2005. Mentang remains at-large.

Dela Rosa said it could be possible that Mentang is involved in the night market explosion in Roxas last Friday night.

0 Comments

Three suspects, two females and one male, are being looked into by the police authorities that may have a hand in the IED blast Friday night here in Davao City that killed 14 people and wounded 67 more.

In a press conference Saturday evening, PNP chief Ronald dela Rosa said that witnesses pointed to three persons of interest that could have left the IED in the massage area of the Roxas Boulevard night market.

Dela Rosa did not give more details though pending their investigation. He said they are currently cross-matching the three personalities to a gallery of known terrorists.

Dela Rosa said they are also waiting for the post-blast report of the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit. Initial findings showed that the IED is crafted from a mortar round based on the fragments taken from the blast area.

According to dela Rosa, the explosive is closely similar to the signature IED of Abdul Manap Mentang, the suspect in the Valentine’s Day bombing of the Davao City Ecoland Terminal in 2005. Mentang remains at-large.

Dela Rosa said it could be possible that Mentang is involved in the night market explosion in Roxas last Friday night.

Meanwhile, PRO XI Director Manuel Gaerlan confirmed they have eight witnesses who could help in their investigation. Gaerlan however refused to give their identities.

0 Comments

President Rodrigo Duterte declared a state of lawless violence few hours after a blast that ripped through a crowded night market here in Davao City Friday evening.
Speaking to the media early morning Saturday, Duterte said that the declaration would mean that there would be intense military and police presence and activities in accordance with the “orchestration of the national government”.

The last time a state of lawlessness was declared was back in 2003 after the twin bombings here in Davao City that hit the old Davao airport and Sasa wharf.

Duterte however clarified that the state of lawless violence is not a martial law declaration as there will be no curfews and no suspension of the writ of habeas corpus.

Duterte visited hospitals and funerals homes where the victims were brought and assured the victims and their families that the government would handle all their financial needs brought about by the explosion.

As of this morning, police authorities confirmed 14 deaths and 71 injuries from the explosion along Roxas Boulevard Friday evening. Ten died on the spot.

The Abu Sayyaf Group is reported to have claimed responsibility from the said explosion.

President Duterte admitted that they have been expecting retaliatory attacks from the Abu Sayyaf in light of the ongoing intense military operations in Sulu.

A doctor from the Southern Philippines Medical Center who requested anonymity claimed to have also received a text message warning him of an impending terrorist attack hours before the Roxas explosion.